Sunday, October 13, 2013

And It Was

we sat across from each other,
at the table.
you with yours and me with mine
I asked for the salt
and you were the only one who heard me
the conversation was solemn each
remembering the agenda we had in mind
we talked about the weather
we talked about politics
we talked about animals
but we never talked about me & you
you asked a simple question
did anyone know what time it was
I looked into your face, the lovely story it told
I didn't want to move,
and then we were across the table, again

your water spilled and I reached to give
you napkins, everyone else oblivious
your hand touched mine, when
I looked up our eyes met, it was
only you and I, only you and I
trying to make sense of it
and then it was time to say goodbye
We all hugged, the obligatory hug,
I put my arms around you and feeling your arms
around me, while everyone else laughed
and made the small talk
I felt the way you feel.....
we said goodbye, fingers lingering
on your shoulders
loving from afar
as we sat across the table




October 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment